Reliable Controls Corporation is a locally owned and operated company, which specializes in the design and manufacture of Internet-connected, building automation controls. Our innovative products automate building environments, decreasing their impact on our planet. At Reliable Controls we offer a collaborative and engaging environment, where employees are encouraged to learn and grow while contributing positively to the big picture of building a sustainable future together.
We are currently accepting applications to fill a permanent, full-time Editor position within our Technical Documentation department. This role will report directly to the Technical Communications Manager. The successful candidate will work closely with Technical Communications and Marketing teams as well as SMEs across the company to create high-quality written materials consistent with the company’s voice and aligned with internally established and industry accepted guidelines. This position is ideal for an experienced Editor who can manage multiple priorities exceptionally well and is passionate about delivering top-level end product through stellar editorial work. In addition to rich, challenging and engaging nature of the role, we also offer a very competitive total compensation package and a balanced work environment with outstanding culture.
Perks and Benefits we offer to our team:
- A highly competitive extended health and dental plans as well as shared MSP coverage, for you and your family.
- A yearly RRSP contribution on company’s behalf, plus employee contribution matching program to help you grow your financial well-being.
- An annual performance bonus
- Paid time off to volunteer and give back to the community, on your own or as a part of a group with your co-workers.
- Free convenient parking, or choose the green transportation option and be paid for it.
- Social Committee events almost every month, from potlucks, game nights and LAN parties to camping and skiing.
- On-site, free gym for the Hallowell location residents, or substantially discounted membership to a local gym in the Selkirk area.
- Awards and recognition for service and accomplishments.
- Assistance with tuition or skills training relevant to your role.
- …and most importantly, a genuinely great culture fostered by the senior management team and sustained by fantastic people!
- Perform stylistic editing to clarify meaning, ensure coherence and flow, and refine language usage
- Perform copy editing to ensure correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and syntax
- Proofread to identify spelling mistakes, deviations from company style, broken links, and other minor issues
- Tactfully communicate with all team members, and clearly mark and convey changes, suggestions, and directions
- Collaborate with technical writers as part of the technical document development process
- Help refine and implement company-wide style guide standards
- Implement consistent tone, mood, style, and authorial voice throughout all published materials
- Ensure copyright requirements are met
- Work with Computer Assisted Translations (CAT) tools to manage the translation process
- Work with translation service providers and first-language speakers to ensure documents are appropriately translated
- Judiciously reduce word counts to minimize translation costs
- Help train content contributors on style guide standards
- Formal post-secondary education as an editor (Editing Certificate or equivalent)
- Proven working experience of a minimum of 3 years in editorial role
- A minimum of 5 years in a writer capacity
- Prior experience editing high volumes of materials
- Familiarity with the style standards defined in the Chicago Manual of Style and the Microsoft Manual of Style
- Familiarity with plain language guidelines
- Hands-on experience with MS Office, InDesign, Acrobat and other publishing tools
- An eye for detail along with critical thinking
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Strong communication skills
- Collaborative and team work oriented approach
If you feel your qualifications meet the requirements listed above and are interested in joining our Reliable Controls family, please apply with us online: upload your cover letter and a resume along with your salary expectations at the "Apply Now" button above. We look forward to receiving your application!
As a privately-owned, Canadian corporation since 1986, we are dedicated to providing simple, flexible, and sustainable systems, economically targeted to meet the triple bottom line of people, planet, and profit. We are proud to have design, development, assembly, service, and repairs housed in Victoria, Canada. Our state-of-the art LEED Platinum certified headquarters annex consumes only one eighth of the energy of a comparable commercial building in Canada. Our senior management team, along with daily support from our staff, create a unique culture of trust, caring and engagement where employees feel empowered to work, live, learn and be creative.